Scientific Staff |
Raum: B 105
Tel: 030 – 314 28157
Fax: 030 – 314 28153
nach Vereinbarung per E‑mail
|since 2018||Visiting Professor (Vertretungsprofessur) Urban Design, Dessau International Architecture (DIA) / Hochschule Anhalt.|
|since 2019||Post-Doc Researcher – LABOR K – Institut für Stadt- und Regionalplanung (ISR) | TU Berlin.|
|since 2017||City Research Team Lead (Ramallah) – GenUrb: „Urbanization, gender and the global south: a transformative knowledge network“ – directed by City Institute, York University, Toronto and supported by SSHRC, Canada|
|2016 – 2017||Research Associate – Global Soil Forum, IASS Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies, Potsdam|
|2013 – 2015||Coordinator of the 7th International Conference of Critical Geography, ICCG 2015|
|2011 – 2015||Doctoral Dissertation “100 x Ramallah: imaginations, otherness, and (de)colonisation in antispaces of sumud, 1914–2014”, Advanced Research in Urban Systems Program, UDE|
|2013||External Researcher & Ex-Post Evaluator: German Development Bank, KfW|
|2011 – 2014||Consultant: I CAN MOVE community dance Project at Youth, Art and Levante|
|2010 – 2011||Outreach Consultant & Researcher: Prosper Palestine, Ministry of Economy, Palestinian Authority|
|2008 – 2010||Masters dual degree “International Cooperation in Urban Development”, TU-Darmstadt and “Housing, Urbanisation & Sustainability in Development Context”, UIC Barcelona|
|2008||Assistant Researcher in external evaluation mission: LASUR-EPFL & German Development Bank, KfW|
|2007 – 2008||Architect & Researcher: Bethlehem Area Conservation & Management Plan, UNESCO|
|2007||External Researcher & Ex-Post Evaluator: German Development Bank, KfW|
|2006 – 2008||Coordinator: Shurouq Cultural Center, Peace and Freedom Youth Forum, Palestine|
|2001 – 2006||Bachelor of Architectural Engineering, Birzeit University, Palestine|
|2019 – 2022||Critical Mapping in Municipalist Movements (CMMM) – Robert Bosch Stiftung (SPIELRAUM)|
|2018 – 2020||Mapping for Change? Critical cartography approaches to drive socio-environmental urban transformations. – Volkswagen Stiftung|
|2017 – 2023||GenUrb – Urbanization, Gender, and the Global South: a transformative knowledge network – The City Institute at York University (CITY), Toronto (supported by: SSHRC, Canada)|
2016 – 2017
|Walking Debates: Nairobi and Berlin | IASS Potsdam|
|2013, 2007, 2008||External Researcher & Ex-Post Evaluator: German Development Bank, KfW|
|2011 – 2015||Doctoral Dissertation “100 x Ramallah: imaginations, otherness, and (de)colonisation in antispaces of sumud, 1914–2014”|
|since 2018||Visiting Professor (Vertretungsprofessur) Urban Design, Dessau International Architecture (DIA) / Hochschule Anhalt, with the weekly Lecture Series “Urbanism” and a Masters level Design Studio.|
|2018||Guest Professor at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) within the “Urbanism Studies” Masters Program, for the module “International Placemaking Studio – Rethinking the Public Realm”, with the Studio “Placemaking Berlin: Bundesallee”|
|2017||Guest Lecturer at the Global Politics Seasonal School in Jordan “Cities in Global Times: Perspectives from the MENA Region and Europe”, organised by the Free University, Berlin and the German Jordanian University, Amman, with the module “Envisioning Urban Governance Anew”.|
|2016||Guest Trainer on concepts of re-claiming urban space at the workshop on pedagogical tools and dance therapy by Yante in Palestine, with the module “TAYSEER: The Walk/Working Class”|
|2014||Guest Lecturer at the TU-Darmstadt “International Cooperation in Urban Development” Masters Program, with the module “Urbanism as Medium of Contestation: State (un-)Making, Uncertainty, and Development through Civic Economies”|
|2013||Guest Lecturer at the Master’s Degree in Urban Systems, UDE, with the module “Urban Conflict Management – identification, analysis, mediation & moderation”|
|2012||Guest Trainer at Yante I CAN MOVE training of trainers program with the module “Communication Skills and Project-Team Coordination”|
Awards & Scholarships
|2011||Hans Böckler Stiftung Promotionsförderungsprogramm, 36-month scholarship for conducting the doctoral research.|
|2010||ARUS: Advanced Research in Urban Systems, UDE, 6‑month scholarship to commence doctoral research.|
|2008||European Union – Erasmus Mundus Urbano (Double-Masters) Scholarship.|
– For awards and scholarships earlier than 2008 please get in contact –
Talks & Workshops
|2019 / Toronto||Presentation: Bring back “small politics’ into knowledge production, at “Feminist Explorations of Urban Futures” International Conference, City Institute, York University.|
|2019 / Athens||Presentation: Ram•allah: The Watchtower. GenUrb Panel and Workshop “September in the City: Rhythms in the making of lives and cities”, ICCG 2019|
|2018 / London||Presentation: Forging Solidarity, Taking a Stand on Palestine, with Dr. Omar Jabary Salamanca at the “Conferencing the International. Spaces of Modern Internationalism” conference by The University of Nottingham at the Royal Geographical Society.|
|2018 / Berlin||Curator and moderator | Roundtable “The Power of Mapping” @ Urbanize! Festival Berlin | ZK/U|
|2018 / Ramallah||Curator and moderator | Roundtable “Women make cities: how to centralise our visions and roles?”, GenUrb Project, at Khalil alSakakini Cultural Center.|
|2018 / Ramallah||Presentation: Reconfiguring Antispaces in Ramallah, at the “Towards Anti-Hegemonic Knowledge Paradigms: Space, Place, Mobility and Power” Conference, Birzeit University.|
|2017 / Berlin||Participant: 24-Stunden Workshop “Spielraum – Urbane Transformationen gestalten” | Robert Bosch Stiftung|
|2017 / Madaba||Presentation: Reconfiguring Antispaces in Ramallah, at the “Reclaiming Public Space in Metropolitan Areas” Conference, German Jordanian University.|
|2017 / Berlin||Host and curator (with Katleen De Flander) “Walking Debate: Berlin” @ Global Soil Week 2017|
|2016 / Nairobi||Host and curator (with Katleen De Flander) “Walking Debate: Nairobi” @ African Soil Seminar|
– For talks and workshops earlier than 2016 please get in contact –
- De Flander, K and Aruri, N. (2017). Catalyzing SDG Implementation Through a Soil and Land Review: Urban Layer. Global Soil Week 2017, Final Report. pp 69–73.
- Khoury, C. Hourany, F. Dagher, A. Ghadban, A., Aruri, N. and Arouri, N (eds. 2017).Tayseer: Recounting an Engeged Story Yet-to-be Twinned. Third Dimension Press.
- Aruri, N. (2015). 100 x Ramallah: imaginations, otherness, and (de)colonisation in antispaces of sumud, 1914–2014. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Duisburg Essen.
- Aruri, N. (2015). Rediscovering Little Sins: Palestinianhood, Disobedience, and Ramallah. RLS Pal Papers. Nov. 2015, pp 1–9.
- Aruri, N. (2014). Reinforcing Social De-Development: Spatial Annihilation as Essential to Zionism. This Week In Palestine, special issue. Sep.2014. pp 32–37.
- Aruri, N. (2013). Ramallah: from ‘Sumud’ [resilience] to corporate identity. Planum. The Journal of Urbanism, n.26, vol. 1/2013. pp 1–13.
- Aruri, N. (2011). The Development of Ramallah: Between Geopolitics and Transmogrification IN: Mendoza, C., Ngulube, M., Colacios, R. (eds). Reflections on Development and Cooperation. Barcelona: Universidad International de Catalunya (ESARQ), pp. 43–52.
- Aruri, N. (2010). Ramallah: The Lofty Haven. Post-Oslo Urban Development Processes: the inclusive city or the divorcing translocality? Masters Thesis, TU-Darmstadt & UIC, Barcelona.
- Steering Committee Member, @GenUrb: „Urbanization, gender, and the global south: a transformative knowledge network“ (GenUrb)
- Steering Committee Member, International Critical Geographers Group (ICGG)